INFORMATION : +32 (0)2 775 75 75 (mo-fri: 9h-12h30/13h30-17h) -


On which vehicles does the LEZ not apply?

Automatic exemptions

For the vehicles registered in Belgium and mentioned below, the exemption is granted automatically. For most of those vehicles, the exemption is granted automatically based on the information provided by the DIV [Vehicle Registration Directorate]. Hence, no request must be applied for.

This is however not the case for priority vehicles and vehicles from the army, for which should be contacted to pass on the required information.

Automatic exemptions do not have a validity period. The changes recorded at the DIV will be taken into account.


The vehicles that receive an automatic exemption are as follows:

  • Two-wheeled motor vehicles (Category L)
  • Heavy goods vehicles (>3.5 tons) designed for transporting goods (Categories N2 and N3); and vehicle category N1 which has chassis code BC.
  • Agricultural or forestry tractors (with tracks or wheels)
  • Electric vehicles
  • Hydrogen-powered vehicles
  • “Old-timer” vehicles registered in Belgium which have an “O” or “1-O” Belgian number plate or which have a personalised number plate (in accordance with Article 4(2) of the Ministerial Order of 23 July 2001 on vehicle registration) and which are more than 30 years old
  • Priority vehicles (as defined in Article 37 of the highway code; in other words, vehicles equipped with one or more blue flashing lights and a special audible warning device. These include police cars, for example.
  • Vehicles used in emergency situations or rescue operations at the request of the fire brigade, the police, the army, the civil protection force or the highway authorities.
  • Armed forces’ vehicles.

Exemptions upon request

The exemptions relate to both Belgian vehicles and vehicles registered abroad. Vehicles registered abroad must first register, then submit an exemption request. Vehicles registered in Belgium do not have to register on this website.

Once submitted, the exemption request will be processed within 69 days after the request is received. Warning, during this period, if you have not received the confirmation regarding your exemptions request or if the vehicle does not meet the access criteria and travels within the Low Emission Zone, the owner may receive a fine.

If the request is approved, the exemption is sent to the applicant by post.

Exemptions obtained via an application will be valid for 3 years provided that the vehicle owner’s situation does not change. Renewal requests must be submitted at least 3 months before the exemption expires. Please note that no expiry reminder will be sent.

To make your request for an exemption, you will need your identity card, you pin code and a card reader (only for Belgians). Depending on the requested exemption, several documents are required. If you have lost the pin code of your identity card, you will find information on how to request a new pin code here


> If your vehicle is registered in Belgium, click here to make your exemption request. Vehicles registered in Belgium do not have to register on this website.

> If your vehicle is registered abroad, click here to make your exemption request. Please note that you must first register your vehicle on this website, to do so click here.  


If your vehicle is registered in Belgium on behalf of a company, click here to make your exemption request. You must fill one form per vehicle.

For businesses or other types of organisations that have a fleet of 20 or more vehicles, it will be possible to submit a “group” exemption request by contacting Bruxelles Fiscalité at


If you need instructions on how to fill the exception form in (281.38 KB)

If you are not able to make your request online you can go to Bruxelles Fiscalité counter located at the North Station / Gare du Nord (floor 1.5) from Monday to Friday from 9am to 11.45 am. Remember to bring all needed documents with you.


The vehicles that are required to submit an exemption request are as follows:

  • Motorhomes (as defined in the highway code – Category M SA):  This therefore includes special-use vehicles falling within Category M, which are designed to be used for accommodation and whose living compartment contains the following facilities as a minimum: seats and a table, berths which can be created with or without seats, a kitchen area, storage areas. These facilities must be irremovable, but the table may be designed to be easily foldable.
  • For “old-timer” vehicles registered abroad, vehicles that are more than 30 years old.
  • Vehicles more than 30 years old that are used for commercial purposes for which the “old-timer” vehicle forms part of the business concept. This therefore includes rental vehicles used for weddings or other events.
  • Vehicles specifically adapted to carry people with disabilities where the owner of the number plate or a person living at the same address as the owner of the number plate is holder of a special disabled parking permit. 
  • Vehicles equipped with an incorporated system inside or to the vehicle intended for the boarding of a person in a wheelchair.
  • Vehicles specially adapted for markets, fairgrounds, parades and itinerant trade. Market vehicles whose engine element and selling element are in one piece, a food truck or a vehicle converted into a fishmonger’s or butcher’s stall. Fairground vehicles whose entertainment element cannot be detached from the engine element.

  • Vehicles specially equipped for maintenance and control of public interest infrastructures and installations. Such vehicles can be identified by their chassis, their equipment or other permanent characteristics. The engine element and the functional element must form a single block. This category covers certain public service vehicles, distribution network management vehicles, vehicles belonging to the highway services and their subcontractors: drain-clearance vehicles, road sweepers, cable-laying vehicles, tram-line maintenance vehicles, etc. These include vehicles equipped for specific tasks for which significant capital investment was required. 

Finally, an administrative exemption to correct inaccurate data may be requested. If, based on the EEC compliance certificate or another document accepted by a public body, a Euro standard or a fuel category or type other than that shown in the DIV and/or LEZ database can be inferred for the vehicle, the owner of the vehicle may use these documents to have the Euro standard or the fuel category or type changed in the LEZ database.


  • Under no circumstances can having a particulate filter give you dispensation for entering/driving with in the LEZ. It is the EURO standard that counts, even if you have installed a retrofit particulate filter.
  • No exemption is specified for vehicles used for business purposes, with the exception of those included in the list above. 
  • Your vehicle's Euro standard cannot be altered by any change to its motorisation.